The Happy Project: How I Got Myself Out Of A Funk


Ever been in a super long funk? How about 18 years long of a funk? Been there?...

Me too! And getting out of an 18 year funk isn't the easiest. Trust me, I'm 19 and barely have it all figured out. Thankfully, one thing I do have figured out is my mentality or at least I have a handle on it. All my life I've been the woe-is-me, what-ifs kind of girl. Well no longer! I'm a changed woman. Here's how I got myself out of a funk.


I Pushed Myself: Whenever I felt down, I would cry and sulk in my feelings. I wasn't a comfort eater, but I was the self-pity-party girl! I lived for the attention when I was sad. Now when I'm in a funk, I take ownership of why I'm feeling down. No matter what the situation, I get my booty out of bed and I force myself to do things I love. Workout, go out with a friend, head to church. Anything to get my mind off the negativity.
Volunteer: I can't tell you how happy volunteering makes me. Not only do you meet random people, but you're doing good for the community. Volunteering is a great way to get out of your comfort zone, meet new people, encounter new situations and feel good. Humble yourself and try going to your local soup kitchen. Or simply help a lady cross the street!


Visualization: This step is what really has transformed my life. I always feel up and down with my career, finances, relationships and my future. Don't we all? This tool totally helps you realize you are in control. It's simple, what you focus on is what your outcome is. When I think, "what if I don't get that job, what if I go broke?," I subconsciously am attracting those things. When I sit for at least three minutes every morning, think, feel and believe the things I want in my mind, they become my reality! And I'm not kidding, it works! This will help you realize you are in a relationship with the universe and your higher power, conspiring to achieve your dreams.
Negative Nonsense: One of the biggest things I did to get out of my funk was cut the negativity out! Negativity is just a thought and just like all thoughts, they pass. Your job is to sit back, realize the negativity will pass away and the more positive thoughts you can generate, the easier it will be to pass. A positive thought is infinitely more powerful than a negative one, remember that!

I Got Over Myself: The last thing I'll cover that got me out of a funk was simply getting over myself. I was worried what people thought of me, what my family thought of me, how I viewed myself and the world. Realize no one cares about you. Of course people care about you, but people don't go to bed at night thinking, "I wonder if Madison knows how much I hate her and think she's ugly." No one! And if they do, don't worry! The universe is on your side, so bad karma is coming their way, duh!
Besides these tools, recovering from my sating disorder has been the ultimate reward in becoming my authentic self. No longer am I mentally strained by this disease. So with that out of my mind, I could easily conquer my funk. The funk you may be in may not go away right away, it's still a battle for me, but try these steps!

Sending out positive vibes xoxo

Comments