The Time I Met Axl Rose

On Tuesday, September 20th, 2016, I got to meet the living legend himself, Axl Rose. How it all started was a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to a Guns N' Roses concert. Of course I said yes and was super pumped for the night to come. On my way there, a friend from our party explained that Guns N' Roses was currently in Mexico City...and this concert was in Philadelphia. Who we were about to see blew my mind. ACDC featuring Axl Rose. And then I later found out I was actually going to meet the band and Axl Rose. The concert was amazing and inspiring. Watching Angus Young perform about ten guitar solos in his mid sixties and hearing Axl Rose hit his high notes, truly made the music nerd in me geek out. After the show, certain guests, including my friends and I were allowed backstage into a lounge area under the arena. There was free food and drinks, but everyone was more excited to meet the band...or so we thought. One of the band managers explained what this "after show" was was a holding cell. To make the people who paid a little extra feel special by putting them in a fancy bar with free food and drinks and not actually meeting the band. My friends and I were super bummed. Luckily though, the friend who invited me somehow miraculously knew the manager of Axl Rose. His name was Andres. Andres within an hour of being at the "after show," brought my friends and I to a special place. This special place was indeed the backstage area for ACDC and Axl Rose. When I walked in, I was enlightened to free food, drinks, music and the sound of Axl Rose singing his after-show cool downs. I couldn't believe the situation I was in. When I looked to my left Kevin Young was just casually having a conversation with a friend. The original leather jacket from ACDC's first ever album was casually resting on a nearby couch. I felt like a rockstar. It really escalated shortly after. Some of the people backstage had left as it was getting later, so it was on to the next big thing. Meaning, riding in a car with Axl Rose and heading to his penthouse suite. AND I'M NOT KIDDING. Sitting in the car, Axl got to learn my name, kinda like Madison, Wisconsin, is how he learned. When we got to the hotel, I got to learn that Axl's favorite singer of all time is Freddie Mercury who of course is my favorite too, so I felt a deep connection. Hearing his stories about ACDC, fellow celebrities, music and writing, his life and how he got started was truly an inspiration. I got to learn that even the biggest legends are still human and to truly be a star, you must really love what you do. I felt inspired the whole night..., until about 6:30am when I realized I had been up a whole twenty four hours. But I realize that people would've died to have the opportunity I did. My parents were jealous of me for the first time ever and it was kinda cool. I sure as hell cant tell you all of what Axl said that night, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Or rather I mean, what happens in Philly, stays in Philly. *wink wink*

Comments