Today I Thrive

For those of you who don't know this month is mental health awareness month. If you're a New Yorker, you might've seen the ads around the city and in the subway of Thrive NYC. All of you who aren't from or currently live in NYC, don't fret. Thrive NYC is a new initiative funded by the NYC state shining light on mental health in the city. Listen to this; One in five New Yorkers is effected by a mental health issue. That's insane to me because when I walk outside my apartment, I can easily count twenty people in a row and four of them are effected by a mental health issue. Think about that. Why is this such a high ratio? Well living in New York City, I can say this ratio is too simple. It should be more like one in four or three, which it probably will be in the coming years. This high ratio is possible because New York can be a very lonely city. I know personally, I still deal with the feeling of being lonely. I have friends and I have built a community, but sometimes it's sad going back to an apartment where you're all alone. It's also tough because I'm a total extrovert and thrive off other people's energies. Sometime it's difficult for me to just chill in my own company. But not only is there the feeling of loneliness within the city, but I also feel like there's this underlying pressure within everyone to be better and do better for themselves. Now on the outside this is a great thing, which it is. The city is very motivating and I love that. But sometimes the ambition and motive behind the success can effect a person. The money-hungry, all for myself motivation can make a person very selfish, careless of others, angry, resentful and cold hearted. Ultimately letting the goal of success alter the person they really are. And mentally this takes a toll. You can lose friends, lose family, lose yourself, just for a simple goal of money or a job position. This in turn makes someone feel lonely, depressed, suicidal or they can turn to drugs. How do we stop this endless cycle? For me, I'm religious so a lot of my faith and strength comes from God. But Thrive NYC is a great outreach program to educate the community, the people effected and to provide resource for the city. There are classes you can take to get educated in mental health, you can become an instructor and you can get help. I have a mental health issue and this is my eating disorder. So why would I be preaching about this if I have an issue? Because for someone who has had a drug addiction, depression or an eating disorder like me, it's more inspiring to hear about the fight and their battle than it is to hear it from someone who just went to school for it. (That's me being very uncanny okayyyy.) If you want to get involved, visit ThriveNYC.cityofnewyork.us. If you have an issue, reach out to me or get connected to Thrive NYC. If you're not in NYC do some serious research, talk to a parent, friend, teacher, counselor, doctor or me! My final word on this is to get educated no matter what state you're in. Mental Health is a disease, just like cancer. Two different diseases, but related in the way that these people need help, treatment, care and a community to build up strength with. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE LOVED.

Comments