Getting Personal Part 1

So last night as I tried to be very New York, my friend and I had a girls night filled with dessert and dry red wine (which I later found out was my thing) and I decided to tell her an old story that still resonates with my current life. After I told her the story, she was like, "Oh my gosh! You have to write about this story!." Conveniently because I have a blog, I decided to start a new mini series in my blog all about getting personal. Stories that can only be told while having chocolate chip cookies and dry red wine with your girlfriend, obviously.

My junior year of high school was pretty much all over the place for me. I was in this transition where classes were getting tougher and my social circle was morphing. By the end of my junior year, it felt like I finished a tour overseas and it felt that relieving too. The end of my junior year was also the beginning of the summer before my senior year, which basically means I'm a senior, which is kind of a big deal. Because I as flipping between the popular and the un-popular crowd, I was eager to experience my first "high school"party. You know one of those in the movie scenes where you walk in and see that weird couple making out in the corner, booze everywhere, music pumping and your crush smack dead in the middle of the room. The last day of school, my group of friends had a bonfire. After the fire, one of the girls found out there was a party going on a couple miles away. I figured, screw it I'm young and this is the summer before I'm a senior, so it's only right. My two friends and I hopped into my car because none of them had their licenses on them and we jetted off. We arrived at the party and even before we walked to the back, we greeted a couple friends who were smoking some major weed in the car...typical I thought for a party. Afterwards, we walked around to the back of the house and all the kids from freshmen to graduates were at the party. In my head the thoughts of, "this is not like the movies," "there's barely any music" and "is that a dad I see?"  were running through my mind. Actually, the dad was there handing out cigars and checking people's shoes in the house....highly illegal. The dad came outside a little after we arrived and told the kids to quiet down because the neighbors were complaining. Soon enough, the cops arrived and started breathalizing people. Now I didn't have a sip of anything or a puff of anything, but I was panicking. Me and the girls made it back to our car and were quickly on our way home. As I was trying to pull out of the street, I didn't notice a car coming and I slammed on the gas to pull ahead. Of course, I get pulled over. If you've never been pulled over than you really can't imagine the feeling. It's like your world is crashing down. You want to cry one moment, then you want to scream, then you want to call your mom, but you realize you're in trouble. "Hey I just wanted to make sure you realized you pulled out in front of that car and everything is okay in here." The BIGGEST sigh of relief came over me, as I thought he was going to make me do the drunk test. As he was checking my license and registration, I watched as all the drunk idiots passed by me so peacefully from the party, just my luck right?! The officer came back and asked when I got my license...two months ago. Because he didn't have his ticket-book but I was illegal, he didn't give me a ticket, but we had to figure out transportation for my friends. We figured out there was another party going on down the street so we lied and told the officer there was a grad party we were trying to get to. The kind officer offered to give my friends a lift and I had to direct the officer to the party down the street to where all the drunk idiots in my class fled to. YOU CAN IMAGINE THE HORROR. Thankfully, he parked a house away and the girls got to go. I later went home that night in tears and I prayed ALL night long. Needless to say I never went to another high school party again. And now I know if I'm not 100 percent into something, I back out IMMEDIATELY.

Comments