Getting the Job?

 
WARNING: This blog post gets very real VERY fast. Before coming to NY, my mother urged me how important getting a job was. "GET THAT JOB MADISON! GET THAT JOB!" So with that in mind, my goal my first week in NY was to GET THAT JOB MADISON. I used this app called Harri and it's really great, I suggest it to anyone who needs a job fast. You create a resume and you apply online to places in your area. Off the app, I gathered a resume and printed copies, determined to go to these job interviews prepared and looking impressive. Upon getting to NY, I made sure to pack a nice blazer and two chic outfits to match. Also realizing I needed a fancy bag to match my attire, I decided to use my laptop bag as a knockoff briefcase...totally believable, right?! The first Monday I was in New York I was determined to achieve my first goal. I had an interview in the Meat Packing District with a hotel as a server. To my dismay the woman who interviewed me didn't like how I had no experience serving, so she offered me a job as a busser. Now, I know I'm young, but do you think a tall, lanky, skinny girl like me could carry 40+ pounds of dishes? Needless to say, I was off to a rough start. I told the woman that I would notify her if I was interested in the position. (LIES). I left the hotel hopeful, but a little upset because I didn't get the job I wanted right away. So naturally I called my mother to inform her about my bad luck. While talking, I noticed this really cute place across the street. I walked by thinking it wasn't for me and then decided since I'm already in NY and didn't like the first interview, I've got nothing to lose. I told my mom I'd call her back later and I walked inside. My luck was really turning around because the place was hiring and the owner was sitting right in the front. He interviewed me and offered me a position as a hostess. It wasn't the serving position I wanted, but it was a quality paying job. I accepted the job and soon after called my mother in such high spirits. I finally got the job and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. The first day of training was great. I met some kind of nice people and I felt pretty comfortable. The only sucky part was we as hostesses have to wear heels all day...I know I'm modeling so on one hand I thought it was good practice, but all day?! That's cruel! And no they can' be no kitty heels. NO, the real 4+ inch hoochie mama heels. But, I realized it was more about the money than the pain. Unfortunately on my second day, my luck turned again. I use another app on my phone called EmbarkNYC and it is my life. You just put in where you are and where you need to get and it tracks your route walking and on the subway. So on my second day, I typed in the address anticipating a quick and easy ride to work, just like day one. It wasn't until I got over the river and into this unknown station that I've never seen before that I realized the app had taken me to the same address in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan. Horrible right? But, it gets worse. I was also scheduled to work for 5 and I arrived in Brooklyn around 4:50, so I was getting really hopeless. Also, there's no service on the subway so getting in contact with my job was also a horrible struggle. Thankfully while I was on my ride back from the unknown station in Brooklyn, I made a call to my work. The manager answered and I explained my situation.  Again thankfully he said it was alright. I arrived to work 20 minutes late and scrambled upstairs to get to my position. Feeling so defeated, I knew I had to make up lost time by putting on a smile and doing my job right and successfully. Around 8 I was feeling a little hungry so I decided to put in my order for dinner. When the clock turned 8:20, it was time for my break. I was told our owner didn't want the staff to be seen eating, so I had to eat on the back of the stairs in the restaurant. While taking my first bite of my drenched in dressing salad, the manager came in the back and told me I could go home. In my mind I thought it was because I was training and it wasn't that busy, so they didn't need me. I was right they didn't need me because I asked about scheduling. He told me they were all set and I could either finish my meal here or outside. With that, I left choking down my tears. I once again called my mother, but this time feeling like the scum of the earth. I felt like the biggest low life ever. I had never before been fired, but I never had been a hostess before, so there's a first for everything! Instantly I felt hopeless, defeated, scummy and like the biggest pile of garbage ever. I thought I was going to go home because I lost a job in two days and was now back at square one. I went back to my friends place thinking it was the end. That same night on my way home, I texted an adult friend who worked in the restaurant business. Crazy, but to my surprise, she had a friend who worked at a restaurant in the city. One thing lead to another and I got an interview with the friend. The day after I got fired, I got hired and then two days later I picked up a second job. Noble you may say, but I call it perseverance. I told myself I was going to get a job because I didn't want to quit or go home. It was all about my mentality. Once you have a certain mentality, convince yourself that's the only way you should think. Even if your mentality is you are going to eat that burger at dinner tonight even though you're on that diet, don't let anyone deter you from your vision. It's so easy to say you're too fat or you don't deserve it, but if you're able to convince yourself and believe you can and will eat that burger, then when you finally  eat that burger, you'll feel so much more accomplished that you actually followed through with what you told yourself. Mentality is the leading cause of fear, but is also a leading cause of confidence. What do you choose? To be overcome by fear or to persevere in the confidence that you can do what you put your mind to? (I choose choice B).

Comments