Thinksgiving

 
Have you ever seen the movie National Lampoons Christmas Vacation? That's a pretty classic movie. Recently, because now film makers can't come up with their own creative ideas, they rebooted the film series with a continuation. Kind of like the 43 million batman movie remakes and that cheesy continuation of the Phantom of the Opera that went completely unrecognized. This movie is titled "Vacation." It is based on the kids of the National Lampoons Christmas. The son of the original movie is now older and he decides to take his family on a road trip to the place where his father took him as a kid. Along the way they get into all sorts of crazy situations and have unfortunate, yet hilarious things happen to them. The movie was pretty funny, but was mostly just really random. When I think back to the movie though, it kind of reminds me of this last vacation I just spent at home. Because I found out last minute about the day I was coming home, I attempted to schedule a bus or train ticket. Not only were the prices sky-high, everything was full. My mother decided she was going to pick me up
in our car. Mind you this car has over 100,000 miles on it and is pretty busted, but in the spirit of the holiday, I was thankful. On her way down, she stopped at a rest stop and when she came back, she discovered the car had broken down. I only found this out after work when I got nightmarish texts saying "Broke Down. Call me. ASAP!!" My stepdad had to call out of work and we had to borrow my grandmothers car to grab me. My precious feet also had to walk about a mile, which I was not happy about, but in the spirit of the holiday, I was thankful. (I'm really not a bitch like that, really). Six hours later, my family picked me up and three hours later I was home. Later on Thursday, feeling super excited about thanksgiving, my mother got a text the morning of that my grandmothers power had shut off. Grandmas house is where the magic happens on thanksgiving, so we were in a panic. My grandfather brought the 23 pound turkey over so it could finish cooking. Thankfully, an hour later the power came back on and the day was back in action. Which also meant, the stuffing and gravy would be in tact. Regardless of the power being off in the morning, our holiday continued and we had a great day filled with love and amazing food. It was also a day I let my sins run free and I ate about a pound of gravy and cheesecake #sorrynotsorry. Friday was the unfortunate day we had to drive another three hours to pick up our mess of a car from the shop. Thankfully it was all fixed, but a six hour chunk out of the day kinda sucked. Even though we had that huge chunk of time taken out, we went out to lunch and got our Christmas tree, so in the spirit of the holiday, I was thankful. Reflecting on the whole vacation, many unexpected and sucky things happened, similar to that cheesy movie. We had no idea the car would break down, we would have to drive six hours to pick it up or the power would go out on thanksgiving, but we persevered. It's ironic this all happened around this holiday, the holiday of thanksgiving. I could be upset about the power going out or having some time delayed on Tuesday and Friday, but it'd be selfish to not be thankful for the sacrifices my family made to make it a great vacation. I'm thankful that I have such a persevering family, a sacrificial family and a loving dedicated family. All of this which they have taught me to have in my spirit. So my friends, what are you thankful for? Is it your friends? Family? Job? Maybe it's the ability you have to serve. Or the major you're heading into. If you're really like me though, it's the amazing gift of cheesecake.

Comments